Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Weekend

Happy Easter everyone! This Easter was a little different for us. This is the first year we haven't lived by either one of our families. Usually after Easter Sunday services we spend the afternoon with grandparents, great-grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles...the whole gang. But this year it was just the 5 (or should I say 6) of us. We missed everyone, but we still had a good ole' time! This Easter season was also different for us becuase we had a lot of events leading up to Easter Sunday at church. Thursday night we had the Living Last Supper...
Jason played the disciple Andrew. Basically it was a play picturing the last supper, and each disciple got up and explained a little about their character. It was neat. Then Friday evening we had a Tenebrae service. I had never been to anything like this before. It was a very solemn service consisting of readings about the crucifixion and somber songs. It was focused on the death of Christ. And then Saturday we had an Easter egg hunt for the kids and of course Sunday morning worshipping and celebrating the Resurrection of our Savior and Lord. It was a busy week, but I really enjoyed it! I liked how each event of the week closely mirrored the time-frame of events that happened over 2,000 years ago. Sunday our pastor preached from 1 Corinthians 15 about how had Christ not risen from the dead, our faith, our religion, our preaching would be in vain. Basically our lives would be lived for nothing. The resurrection is everything! Praise God that we serve a risen Savior who has defeated death and the grave!! Here's a family pic of us all dressed in our Easter attire...
Before church we let the kids open their little Easter gifts. We never do much, just a small toy and some candy, but they get excited. I have pictures but forgot they were on our camera. So you may get a random post containing those pics (adding pics after I've started writing the post is a pain). Anyway...so after church we got home and I fixed us a fairly classic Easter dinner...ham, potatoes, green beans, deviled eggs, and biscuits. (please excuse the half-eaten biscuit...I was hungry)...
We had a brief rest time (Jason was up around 5am for our church's sunrise service which by the way I really wish we had made it too...maybe next year I'll brave waking the kids up that early)....and then we dyed eggs...
I got 5 koolaid packets and we used those to dye the eggs rather than the kits. I got 5 packets for $1, so it was much cheaper. I only had 6 white eggs left and the rest were brown. The white of course were much prettier colors, but the kids still had fun none-the-less. Here's what we came up with...(oh, and the kids had to write their names on the ones they dyed)
Then they decided they wanted to hide the ones they made for us to find and of course we would hide the plastic candy-filled ones for them to find. So here they are hiding from us (I peeked to get a picture...I'm just glad I didn't get caught)...
And here's what we got! It was so funny finding them. Usually we would find them in sets of 3. I hope you especially enjoy the grease stains on the belly of my favorite sweatshirt...
So then of course we hid their eggs and here they are finding them...


After the hunt...
And of course....going through and finding the candy...
It ended up being such a fun day full of worshipping, good food, and family fun. Oh...and for our memory I'm going to share a little dialogue that took place between Jason and Lily after church yesterday. Jason asked Lily what she learned in children's church. She replied.."The bad guys put sharp things on Jesus' head. And put nails in His hands and feet. Then they made him carry the cross and then wrapped him in a sheet and put him in a cave." Then Jason asks.."What happened next?" Lily replies..."We colored." I cracked up when I heard that. Of course I know she learned about the resurrection too, because on a different occasion she told me, but still...that was too funny! I hope you all had a great Sunday celebrating the resurrection of our Lord as well!

No comments: