Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Party Hardy!

It seems that we've started a little trend. Everytime one parent is going to be gone for a night, we have a party. Sounds like we are celebrating one of us being gone, but I see it as quite the contrary. It's something fun for us to do to get our mind off missing (in this case) daddy....who was at a youth lock-in. So basically we get lots of junk food (basically the kids pick the menu) and we sleep out on the pull-out couch. Our kids think it is the greatest thing ever. The idea for these parties came from the infamous "No Parents Allowed" parties that Grandmaw used to throw when we lived in Dayton (and I'm sure she will still throw when we go visit...or she visits here). Anyway...at this particular party we decided our main events were going to be making cupcakes and painting. Let me first say...allowing the kids to crack eggs and blend things with the blender goes against everything in my personality. But I am really trying to let loose more and let them get in the kitchen and help (well...at parties anyway). Maybe one day I'll be better about letting them help with dinner on a nightly basis (baby steps). But I will say....I am SO glad I let them do it. They had a BLAST and actually did a really good job for the most part! So here we go...(oh, and warning...this post contains a LOT of pictures). To bake a cake you first need a cake mix...
(I must add that after dumping this in, our innocent little Austin proceeded to stick is hand into the cake mix, grabbed a handful, and tried to eat it....he's always making things more interesting....gotta love him).
Then oil...
And water...
And eggs...


(Isn't it perfect that a cake mix requires 3 eggs? I think so too). Then you need to blend it all together...for about 3 minutes (again...perfect)...


Then, you of course need to lick the utensils you are done with (only two of those...not as perfect)...
Pour the batter into muffin cups...
And then lick the bowl....somehow I don't have a picture of that. So while the cupcakes were baking we painted...
Can you tell what Austin REALLY wanted to do with the paint?
We had gotten some magnets a while back and had never painted them...so we painted those too. Daniel did a really good job on his turtle!
And every girl needs a pink and purple kitty cat magnet...
After we painted we ate M&M's...
And swirly cheese puffs...
I know, I know...pretty bad. Remember we also make the cupcakes (chocolate with chocolate icing). But...I will say, #1...they ate a good dinner before the party, #2...they brushed their teeth after having all their sweets, and #3...granted they had the M&M's and ate every one of those, but they didn't eat a lot of cheetos AND by the time they iced their cupcakes (they had already eaten the other stuff) they only ate about 2 bites of them. PLUS....what's a party if you don't do stuff you normally wouldn't do, right? Right. Ok, so enough of me justifying my cramming my kids full of sugar and junk. Then we pulled out the couch and watched a movie til we fell asleep...
(As you can see, Daniel didn't last very long). And one last sugary treat was left for the next morning...
Donuts. So there you have it...Partytime Heath Style. I can honestly say...even though it required a bit of clean-up...I REALLY enjoyed this time with our kids. (And the clean-up wasn't too bad b/c I did a lot as we went). We really need to have a big party soon with both parents present....that really would be WAY fun (considering Jason and I are so cool). :)

No comments: