Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What's been cookin' in the Heath household?

I haven't done a post in awhile about food, so I thought I would do that now.  Especially since food is so important to me these days.  :)  Here are a few new recipes I've tried recently...(some more recently than others)...
This was my copycat of the Chipotle burrito...Cilantro lime rice (I actually didn't have cilantro, so I used ground corriander instead...it's close to the same flavor), left-over roast beef, refried beans, guacomole, salsa, cheese....that's what I had on hand.  So naturally...it wasn't exactly Chipotle, but it hit the craving none-the-less.  This was thrown together with what I had on hand...I will try to make this again actually planning out my ingredients (since the closest Chipotle is 2 hours away).
 This is a Zucchini tot.  It was super yummy.  I got this one from Pinterest.  These were sooo good...they really tasted a lot like tater tots, but it has shredded zucchini and cheese in it.  Mmmm.
 This is another Pinterest find...Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken.  This was super yummy, and very easy, and required very minimal ingredients.  Definately will make this again!
 These are homemade baked chicken nuggets and homemade baked french fries (also Pinterest).  I love meals like this because they are easy and kid-friendly, but also healthy.  The nuggets were delish...even though I used regular breadcrumbs instead of panko breadcrumbs, and the fries were pretty much your classic baked fry, but I love those so I was pleased.
Here's a few other meals I've made recently that I didn't have pictures for...
-Cheesy chicken and rice...this is a Pinterest find.  It was done in the crockpot and was super easy and cheap.  I'll definitely make this again.
-Baked "fried" Chicken....this was soooooo yummy (Pinterest).  The flavor of the breading is amazing.  It also requires ingredients I usually have on hand anyway.  This will definitely be my "go-to" chicken dish when all I have is chicken and I don't know what to do with it.
-Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes...This is not a Pinterest find, but instead came out of one of my Betty Crocker cookbooks.  I have officially found the best meatloaf recipe ever.  Let me know if you want it...it's sooo good.  And the potatoes are pretty yummy too. The secret to good mashed potatoes is...butter.  My theory...the potatoes are still healthy...you're just adding the unhealthy butter to it...but it doesn't mean you're not getting the nutrients from the potatoes, right?  Well, that's what I tell myself when I really want something tasty....like butter.  :)
-Tacos...my kids love 'em...so we've been killing it with the tacos lately.  Plus..you can buy "great value" brand taco shells for $1 a box (12 ct.), so we either cook up some ground beef or chicken with some taco seasoning ($.30 a pack)...add some fixins' and there you have it!  A cheap meal the kids (and parents for that matter) will love.
-Oh, and I did make some white beans with that left over Easter ham.  Crock pot, dried beans, ham and ham bone, salt, pepper, a tablespoon of bacon fat...oh yum.  Throw some homemade sweet cormbread muffins with it and there you have a good ole' southern dinner.
And last, but certainly not least I will share my Pinterest dessert that I've recently tried.  I had it at a friend's house and LOVED it, so I made a few recently for a dinner at church...ok, so here goes...LEMONADE PIE.  I've told you how I love lemonade lately.  So this....was amazing!  Frozen lemonade concentrate, sweetened condensed milk, cool whip, a graham cracker pie crust...I mean really folks...Y-U-M!
So there you have it...the Heath menu lately.  We've been trying to go cheap, easy, and healthy around here.  Ok, so not every recipe is exactly what I would call "healthy", but most are (we usually throw in some stir-fried broccoli, green beans, or raw carrots in there with some of those dishes too).  Anyway...I know you've been dying to know what we've had for dinner, so there you have it!

No comments: